Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wadsworth Museum - Photo Essay


This sculpture was outside the museum. It reminds me of Clifford, the big red dog.





Entrance






These four paintings were specifically done for the door - Thomas Cole, 1836.





Sette, Stanford White, 1890. One of the most insane couches I've ever seen. I'd be too afraid to sit on it.





The Young Lady with the shiner, Norman Rockwell, 1953 - This just made me laugh!





Chambered Nautilus, Andrew Wyeth, 1956 - I really loved this piece, but I did not like the added nautilus shell. To me, it throws off the balance and it's distracting.







This intricate bird cage was made by Meissan around 1740-1750





This is Snail with Nautilus Shell by Jeremias Ritter, 1630. Thought this was so cool.





This was a wall painting in one of the hallways at the museum.






Confrontation, Herbert Gentry, 1987



Below are pieces from the costume portion of the Wadsworth. I danced when I was younger so was really interested in the ballet costumes.


Above are American (1 Italian) costumes from the 1920s. They remind me of those flapper type costumes with all the strings and beads.

Idzidowski's costume for the Rose, Leon Bakst, 1922. One of the costumes in the repertoire of the Ballet Russes.






From the Sleeping Princess, Leon Bakst, 1921: Dorothy Coxan's costume as a lady in waiting, the Christening. Red charmeuse, gold fringe, white chiffon, green satin petticoat with appliques, cape is green velvet and marabon.







Leon Bakst, The Sleeping Princess, 1921 - Evina's costume for a Lady of the Court in the Mazurka, the Wedding. Gown: Silver laime, white satin with laime applique; jacket is white velvet and swansdown; hat is laime with tassels.

I wonder when those wide hips are coming back in style :)










Costumes by Natalie Goritcharawa, L'Oiseau de Feu (The Firebird): 1. Seated: Costume of one of the guards, 2. Left-back: Robe for Attendant, 3. Right: Costume for an Enchanted Princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment